Youth and Family Counsellor I or II (Full Time)
The Youth/Family Counsellor is the primary worker with young people, normally on rotating shifts that provide coverage twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week, and is a contributing member of a team providing service to young people and families within a structured setting.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements and maintains a structured setting that fosters the development of an appropriate level of personal and social functioning for each resident.
- Is an effective, mature and appropriate role model for each resident to utilize in his/her growth.
- Works effectively with other members of the clinical and group care team in providing a therapeutic milieu.
- Develops and maintains a therapeutic relationship with youth in the program through the implementation of the Circle of Courage model.
- Participates actively in supervisory meetings, team meetings, retreats, planning sessions, and designated in-service training.
- Maintains appropriate records.
- Is responsible for a variety of therapeutic responsibilities for particular young people and their families including attendance and intervention at case conferences, consultations, school meeting, psychiatric appointments, family meetings etc.
- Is responsible for completing behavioral assessments of youth and the development, implementation, and on-going evaluation of Treatment Service Action Plans.
- Maintains the upkeep of the residential living space of the unit, and ensures the provision of a program that fits the requirements of the Licensing Department.
- Is responsible for a variety of tasks associated with program functioning including meal preparation, cleaning, and transportation of young people.
- Administers medication according to policy and CAC Standards.
- Night shift in all residential programs is an awake position.
A diploma or undergraduate degree in Human Services such as; Child and Youth Care, Social Work, Psychology, Sociology or a related field. Experience in working with young people preferred. Must have current Standard First Aid/Level C CPR, PIC, CYIM, Valid Driver’s License, and Driver’s Abstract.
Applicants are sincerely thanked in advance for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Competition closes when position is filled.
Resumes can be emailed to HR@vantagecommunityservices.ca, faxed to (403) 346-3225, or forwarded to:
Vantage Community Services
4920 54 Street
Red Deer, AB T4N 2G8
View all employment opportunities.